Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Happiness is a birthright

Lessons from the Dalai Lama

"While translating the meaning of a dense text, he reminded us of some of the tenets of Buddhism that translate to any spiritual practice. In colloquial terms, no person is an island—the nature of being is dependence; events don't come into being without cause, and we can best understand things within the concept of relationships. Suffering is caused by our attachments, including grasping and craving. Although suffering occurs, the true nature of human beings is nonafflicted, or luminous." ~from Yoga Journal

The Five Remembrances
Version of the Buddha's Five Remembrances, offered by Thich Nhat Hanh in The Plum Village Chanting Book (Parallax Press, 1991).

I am of the nature to grow old. There is no way to escape growing old.

I am of the nature to have ill health. There is no way to escape ill health.

I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death.

All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them.

My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.

No comments: